I just restored the ability to have multiple MP4 direct links with version 2.4 of the page with a simple URL hack pointed out by Christian in the comment section. Thanks to him, enjoy.
Arte changed their way to deliver videos and removed most of the MP4 direct link, replacing them with rtmp:// stream link that you cannot easily download (you’d have to transcode them on the fly).
Hopefully, there still is one MP4 link available for every Arte+7 program and I updated my code accordingly. Quality has decreased, but it’s still better than nothing.
Until April 22th, 2013, this post was entitled “Arte+7 videos: shell script to uncover rtmp:// URLs“. It was providing a shell script to run on your Linux/Unix-based operating system and it would gives you
rtmp:// links that you then must have ripped to flv in order to store the videos as files… Well, it was not trivial at all, and even less accessible.
But Arte completely rethought it’s website on April 2013 with direct effects on the look-n-feel and on the way arte+7 videos are delivered to the users (this is you).
The good news is that Arte now directly streams (amongst other formats) MP4 files. It means the shell script is not the way-to-go anymore as we don’t have to rip anything anymore.
In this context, I have written a small PHP page that will do the crawling and searching for you, and provides you with direct download links for both german and french videos, high-definition (HD) or standard-definition (SD). Put it short, you can save any Arte+7 videos in a second: right-click “Save as”.
This solution is a lot more elegant, doesn’t require any tools and works on any operating system connected to the Internet. Just follow the above link and enjoy.
Feel free to submit any bug or feature request in the comments.
* Better output, more clear and more readable with hints to choose the correct file (thanks to KillNoise)
* Added an estimated size in megabyte for MP4 files (thanks to KillNoise)
* Restore the ability to have multiple MP4 direct links with a simple URL hack (thanks to Christian in the comment section)
* Re-added raw rtmp:// links as it might be useful for advanced users. I won’t provide support for these links.
* Updated accordingly to Arte’s new way of delivering videos
* Lost the ability to propose multiples MP4 files and qualities …
* Multiples interfaces tweaks
* Video quality information is now accurate
* Better error-cases handling
* Moved from a shell script to a PHP-based webpage
* New URL is: http://floriancrouzat.net/arte
* Complete refactor of the code to match new Arte.tv website
* Removed rtmpdump dependency as Arte now serve MP4 files
* Simpler and cleaner output.
* Added the possibility to download the videos directly from the script
* The script now handles gzipped pages as Arte seems to care for bandwidth (and CO2)
* Wget is no longer required. The script also handles curl automatically, when available.
* Better output
* Now displaying
rtmp:// streams URL for other tools.
* Better (colored and fency) output
* Added a few informative messages
* Added a menu to choose the rtmp to transcode.
* Fixed a bug where fr/de rtmp stream URLs could be in the wrong order (mixed).
* Code review
* Now transcode rtmp stream into a flv file when possible
* Add support for DE streams
* Initial commit